Chair from a Cardboard Box







Once in a while I like to do something challenging. Also recently I developed a technique to make 2D templates from 3D objects in Google SketchUp. I wanted to put this method to the test by making a simple chair design from a television box. Dimensions and shapes were limited as the cardboard had already been folded.

The chair is made of one piece of cardboard and some double-sided tape. It can at least support 80 kilograms. In the fututre I may try to develop a way to connect cardboard without using any other material than the cardboard itself.

The 3D model and the 2D template can be downloaded here (this model is somewhat larger that the original one)

I would love to see you reproducing it!

2 comments:

  1. Man, i loved it. What technique is that? i would love to use it for inventing more stuff, can you post a tutorial or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used SketchUp to design the chair. As far as I can remember it was an iterative process; going back and forth between the 3D model and the flat pattern. Perhaps this helps: http://www.instructables.com/id/Design-paper-sculptures/

      Delete